Tuesday 16 November 2010

Kate and Wills...

"She said yes!"


 When someone said to me today that Kate and Wills are getting married next year, my reaction was..."Good for them, are we invited?" Call it ignorant but I had to take a few seconds to realise who they meant. It of course the news that Prince William and Kate Middleton are to marry sometime next year...but I ask the one key question that is on everyones lips..."Are we bothered?"...Now I cannot promise a definitive answer to this question but I will certainly have a good go. The short answer is "No." However that wouldn't make a good read for anyone (assuming someone is read this of course...)


I wasn't talking to you...


I have to be honest, I went off the Royal Family when Diana died that gloomy night in Paris. I remember waking up that morning and had a horrible feeling something had happened...and I was right...I forgot to lock the front door and I was going to be in trouble for it. Then I turned on the news and found out. But that is another story for another time. Kate and Wills met at St. Andrews University and were in the same halls as one another. They were developing a huge amount of respect for eachother and a friendship blossomed, now years later, they are to be married. Great. Super. But all I care about is if we get a national holiday for the day...not that I have a job not to go in to, but hopefully by then I will. If that is the case, and we get the day off, I still won't be tuning in or lining the streets screaming in celebration.


Think you have come to the wrong event mate...

What bothers me most about this announcement is that no one actually cares about the two of them as people, becoming bound in marriage. Even David Cameron, our superb (hahaha jokes) Prime Minister looked as if he had other things on his mind when greeting the press in Downing Street this morning and Maggie Thatcher saw him on the news and asked her aide, "Who is that coming out of my house?"...bless her. Anyway, my point is that people are gossiping about it the wedding. Ladbrokes are now taking bets on where the honeymoon will be...and just in case you're interested on placing a wager, Magaluf is at 500/1 and Butlins 2500/1...have a pop, you never know. They might even book the honeymoon suite at Pontins for £25 a night. Perfect. The gossiping magazines are also trying to guess what dress Kate will wear and who will design it. This sells copies apparantly...why are women so drawn to these magazines? They flick through for a bit, get bored, look at the horoscope section, then the problem question page and that's it...pointless.

The honeymoon suite at Pontins (including complimentary teddy bear and half drunk fruit juice)

I suppose that the news today brought us something positive to talk about. I am not for a minute trying to draw on the negatives. Let us all be happy for them, but what remains to be seen is whether the nation get behind them and celebrate. It will be interesting to find out. Are we bothered about it? On balance I would say no, we aren't. It's just another wedding, although this time it happens to be a royal one and not Bob and Sue from down the road. I just hope Kate doesn't try to be Diana. If she does, she will get slated. She already has Diana's ring...I hope for Kate's sake that there are no comparisons to her because, let's be honest, she wouldn't stand a chance, even less of a chance than Audley Harrison last weekend.

All the best,

Ben x

No comments:

Post a Comment